Saturday, May 14, 2011

Sleep

I laid down to take a nap last week and was shocked that I was not instantly asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow. I was never able to fall asleep that fast before I had a baby, post baby I can sleep while awake. I have a sleeping angel on my lap right now.

I wasn’t against co-sleeping but thought that it wasn’t for us. Hubby cocoons himself in blankets all the way up around his head, so I was always worried that he would suffocate the baby in his shell of covers. I had worried that if the baby wasn’t between us that she would fall off the bed. I got a Moses Basket for her to sleep in next to the bed. It worked great….for a week. Angel baby was not satisfied with sleeping next to the big bed. She demands to be in the big bed. I’ve tried to let her fall asleep on me and then put her in the basket. That lasts for about 5 minutes before she wakes up, demanding to come back. As soon as I pick her up and cuddle her or even just put her in her boppy on the bed, she calms down. Even if she doesn’t go right back to sleep as long as she is on the bed she is calm and quiet (for the most part). I was extremely paranoid about putting her in the boppy at first because it has a big “not for sleeping” tag on it.  But, as anyone with a new baby knows, you will do anything to help her sleep so that you can sleep too. The Moses Basket has not gone to complete waste. It is now used as the buffer between the bed and the floor so that if somehow she pushed herself and the boppy backwards she would just go onto the basket and a pillow instead of falling off the edge of the bed. So now her bed is just a back up plan/safety net. It should be interesting trying to move her into her own room and crib.

No comments:

Post a Comment